The number of children diagnosed with Autism or related disorders has grown and homoeopathy has an important role to play in treating these conditions, along with the help of behavioral therapy and proper nutrition.
Core symptoms of Autism – Symptoms during childhood are usually noticed first by parents and other caregivers sometime during the child’s first three years. Autism is often present at birth (congenital), but signs of the disorder can be difficult to identify or diagnose during infancy. It can also occur due to vaccination, exposure of the mother to pesticides, allopathic drugs or other chemicals, poor nutrition of the mother, environmental pollutants and other factors.
The severity of symptoms varies greatly, but all people with autism have some core symptoms in the areas of:
· Social interactions and relationships. Symptoms may include significant problems developing nonverbal communication skills, such as eye-to-eye , facial expressions, and body posture.
· Failure to establish friendships with children of the same age.
· Lack of interest in sharing enjoyment, interests, or achievements with other people.
· Lack of empathy – People with autism may have difficulty understanding another person’s feelings, such as pain or sorrow.
· Verbal and nonverbal communication. Symptoms may include delay in, or lack of, learning to talk. As many as 40% of people with autism never speak.
· Problems taking steps to start a conversation. Also, people with autism have difficulties continuing a conversation after it has begun.
· Stereotyped and repetitive use of language. People with autism often repeat over and over a phrase they have heard previously (echolalia).
· Difficulty understanding their listener’s perspective. For example, a person with autism may not understand that someone is using humor. They may interpret the communication word for word and fail to catch the implied meaning.
· Limited interests in activities or play. Symptoms may include an unusual focus on pieces. Younger children with autism often focus on parts of toys, such as the wheels on a car, rather than playing with the entire toy.
· Preoccupation with certain topics. For example, older children and adults may be fascinated by video games, trading cards, or license plates.
· A need for sameness and routines. For example, a child with autism may always need to eat bread before salad and insist on driving the same route every day to school.
· Stereotyped behaviors. These may include body rocking and hand flapping.
This is a case of 3 year old girl with autistic symptoms which started after her vaccination. I first saw her on Nov 5th, 2013. The parents noticed that their daughter was having some problems around her 2nd birthday, when she stopped talking and was having difficulty in making eye and being socially interactive. She would grind her teeth all day and especially at night.
She talked alone using inappropriate words and did not respond to her name being called, despite having normal hearing. She liked to be naked and would remove all clothing . She showed little interest in interacting with other people, played alone and wanted to put everything in her mouth. She passed urine on the floor and drank (licks) and plays with her feces. She threw her toys and bit when she got angry. There was no attachment towards her father and mother. She was very restless and did not want to sit in one place. She does not like to sleep.
She gets frequent urinary and respiratory infections; there is increased frequency of urination with offensive odor. She craves non vegetarian food, especially fish and eggs and doesn’t like to drink milk. She loves chocolate
These are the rubrics:
Mind-anger-throwing things around
Mind-feces-urinating and going to stool everywhere, children
Mind-naked wants to be
Generals –food and drinks—fish desires
Generals-food and drink—egg desires
Generals-food and drink-milk aversion
Head –perspiration of scalp
The remedies prescribed after repertorization were Hyoscyamus and Thuja. I prescribed Hyoscyamus 30 once in a week. She continued to progress with this remedy and I could see a definite improvement after each dose. There was a drastic change in the physical level especially urination and appetite. She stopped drinking urine and was able to follow instructions. She started sleeping through the night and answering simple questions. But hyperactivity and other mental generals were the same . On 4-3-2014 I prescribed one dose of Thuja 200 and asked the parents to continue Hyos 30 after 1 week. Hyperactivity continues to reduce with Thuja. She started to become more cooperative and everything has greatly improved .She now shows affection and enjoys receiving it. She has started playing with other children. After 6 months of treatment she has improved to the point that most people would not think that she had been autistic.