Besides the nice and attractive cases we like to read about, in practice we get the hard kind of cases, with lots of symptoms and a lot of difficult circumstances. It’s clear in those cases from the very beginning that there’s only so much we can do, and we wonder if we can help the patient. It’s always worth the try. Eventually, there’s more to be learned from those cases.
A man, 33 years old came for counsel escorted by his wife. He’s an entrepreneur, lives with his common law wife for 8 years now. Athletic build, very nervous during consultation.
He was declined as a sperm donor as a result of having no live sperm. This is the main reason he came.[/message_box]
- asthma since childhood
- varicose veins
- chronic throat inflammation
- chronic nose obstruction
- allergies to dust and mites
- heavy breathing due to deviated nasal septum
- temporary loss or control of his fingers (claims to be magnesium deficiency, doesn’t want to see a doctor about it)
- recently discovered problem of sterility
His wife said: “He’s so nervous there’s no getting through to him. No one even wants to be there for him. He’s insulting and yells a lot. He can’t control his temper; he breaks things around the house”
He drinks 7 to 8 bottles of beer a day during summer and 4 to 5 during the winter.
He explains: ’’ I have this tension in my head. I get nervous. I keep things bottled up. I try to release it through sports, but I’m still nervous. I get upset easily. It’s just my nature. I get annoyed by insolence and injustice.
I break things around the house. Just go ballistic and break something. Just look at the thing and see it broken, then just have to do it. I used to break stuff around my parents’ house when I was little. I’m more silent now. I want to stay active, to do something, but I just huff and puff. I don’t calm myself down, it just blows over by itself. Or I do sports. I drive my bike and exercise around the house a little. I watch too much television. Do 5-6 hours a day. When I come home from work, I turn on the TV and watch it through the night. I watch anything.
I have a brother. He’s 4 years older. We never had much of a relationship. I always thought he was selfish. When I was a kid I often wanted him to give me something, but he was so attached to it, he never wanted to give it to me.I could never learn from him. I always wanted him to teach me something. I get annoyed by insolence, injustice.
Relationship with my parents was good, but it’s grown a bit colder. Actually, I don’t think we have much of a relationship. Mother was cold and distant; father wasn’t that big on emotions. We never had a decent relationship. He jelled at us a lot. He smacked us around too, which is normal.I think he shouldn’t have hit us that much. Parents used to hit children, now they say it’s not right. I don’t know if it is OK or not. Sometimes I was insolent and deserved it. Once I created a fire. It was a game, it wasn’t intentional.
Fire calms my nerves. It calms everyone’s nerves. The burning process alone… when we were kids we lived by the Danube. We used to set fire and throw things at it.
I like nature, animals, dogs… When I was little I used to be afraid of hens an feathered animals. Whenever I see a feathered animal I get the urge to kill it.
I bear pain well. I’m not too sensitive.
I’m appalled when my wife eats too much. It makes me very angry. I shout at her. It also makes me angry when I think she’s been lying. When she plays games on the internet, she’s wasting time.
I have a bad sperm count. I’m not too disappointed. Think it will get better.I feel normal.I think some sort of medicine will make it better. We’ve been trying to have a baby for the last 4 or 5 years. I don’t have one live sperm. We tried artificial insemination last year but it didn’t work. This time we were rejected because of my bad condition.I expect the government will pay for it if it wants to increase birthrate (he crosses his arms). It’s OK with me not to have children.
I have psoriasis since early childhood. It’s on my elbows and knees. Beer makes it worse, but I drink it anyway.I went to see this prominent doctor. He forbade everything, gave me all sorts of creams, but I didn’t apply any of it. I’m not serious about treatment.
I also have asthma since early childhood. Can’t remember what started first, psoriasis or asthma. I was very little. I have to use my inhaler every night before I go to bed, otherwise I can’t sleep. If I don’t do it I suffocate through the night. It doesn’t worry me, I am used to it. Just grab my inhaler and I wait it out.
I have a chronic throat inflammation. As soon as I catch cold, my throat starts killing me. I get cutting pain with pus. Sometimes my tonsils get so swollen I can hardly breathe. I get awakened by dry throat, noise, dogs barking. There is no specific time during the night when I wake up. Then I can’t fall asleep and I get nervous.
I seldom dream. When I was a kid I used to have a same dream. It was of a dark shadow that kept coming.I don’t remember if I was afraid, I only remembered the dream.
During the winter I can’t see a way out. I am not that busy during the winter and my thoughts are swarming. I am afraid of the sight of bills. I don’t want to experience poverty, or to be depended on anyone’s help.I worry the most in winter. I don’t feel that good without the sun.
There’s nothing I won’t eat. I like everything.
PROBLEMS WITH HANDLING THIS CASE
- Multiple chronic diseases
- Many allopathic medicines used in a long period blurs the real condition
- Patient didn’t come on his own and isn’t ready to cooperate
- Refuses any treatment
- No hope of a cure, apathy
- No clear picture, lots of images intertwine
- No clear modalities
- On emotional scale he reached the last stage – fear, depression, helplessness
- While taking the case every symptom was examined, modalities taken, but due to many symptoms, there was no cure to cover the totality
We can think of this case in several ways.
If we concentrate on his behavior we get the following group of medicine: Belladonna, Hyoscyamus and Stramonium. Further differentiation would lead us to one of them.
1. Belladonna was the most probable. This perception would be justified by:
- MIND – RESTLESSNESS
- MIND – SENSITIVE – noise, to
- MIND – FRIVOLOUS
- MIND – FIRE – set things on fire; wants to
- MIND – ALCOHOLISM
- MIND – KILL; desire to
- MIND – VIOLENT
- MIND – THROWING things around
- SKIN – ERUPTIONS – psoriasis
- MALE GENITALIA/SEX – STERILITY
- RESPIRATION – ASTHMATIC
- SLEEP – SLEEPLESSNESS – waking, after
2. Hyoscyamus is always suspicious, violent, looks for total guarantee for everything he does and it matches the image of the patient.
3. Stramonium is violent, wants to kill, dreams of a dark shadow, delusions of being a prosecutor (sees things broken and has to break them), has desire for light…
- MIND – DELUSIONS – influence; one is under a powerful,
- MIND – DELUSIONS – executioner; visions of an
- MIND – FIRE – set things on fire; wants to
- MIND – BREAKING things
- MIND – ALCOHOLISM
- MIND – INDIFFERENCE
- MIND – LIGHT, desire for
All of these medicines consider acute miasma, but what we have is a chronic long-lasting condition. A medicine with deeper impact would be more appropriate.
4. We could consider Hepar Sulphur, because of fire, violence, sensitivity. But the fact that he can withstand pain doesn’t fit. Hepar is also a leading remedy for immorality and no interest in justice, but this patient is very sensitive to injustice and to lies.
5. Perhaps it is most reasonable to think of Carcinosin because of the following rubrics:
- MIND – AILMENTS FROM – abused; after being – violence; from – children
- MIND – AILMENTS FROM – punishment – children
- MIND – ALCOHOLISM
- MIND – ANGER – destroy things; with tendency to
- MIND – CENSORIOUS
- MIND – DESPAIR – existence, about miserable
- MIND – NATURE – loves
- MIND – SENSITIVE – noise, to
- MALE GENITALIA/SEX – STERILITY
- GENERALS – FOOD and DRINKS – beer – agg.
- GENERALS – HISTORY; personal – childhood diseases; of – severe
- GENERALS – MANY SYMPTOMS
- GENERALS – VARICOSE veins
- GENERALS – CHRONICITY
- GENERALS – HISTORY; personal – sinusitis; of recurrent
- GENERALS – HISTORY; personal – tonsillitis; of recurrent
This repertorization seems satisfying, except for Carcinosin not being violent, doesn’t break things, doesn’t want to fight, and aggressiveness is the dominant characteristic of this patient. The other reason Carcinosin isn’t prescribed is the general rule not to start cases with nosodes.
What we need is a medicine that’s highly sensitive, nervous, angry and violent, deeply depressed, also covering physical symptoms. As opposed to the usual system of eliminating medicines based on rare and unusual symptoms, clearly this case needed a different method.
In this case we searched for CHARACTERISTIC symptoms, no matter how rare, unusual or completely common they were, presented in rubrics with many medicines. George Vithoulkas calls it zero symptoms. The other criterion is to cover as much pathology as possible, so we took only general rubrics into consideration, no modalities. The prescription was achieved by generalizing the symptoms.
The first prescription was Nat-mur 200C.
First follow up: 15.1.14.
I suffocate more, but the psoriasis is better.
I’m reading this book “A Monk Who Sold His Ferrari”. It’s totally out of this world. I’m not depressed any more. I do want children, but if that doesn’t happen, hey, the world won’t come to an end. Sometimes I want more, sometimes less. I’m not that persistent to go all the way with the doctor thing. I’m sick of it. I feel slightly indifferent to this artificial insemination thing. I guess I don’t want it that badly.
I’m a bit lazy. Why does it have to be so hard. I would rather give up. I feel that the condition I would have to fix with a bunch of medications is morbid.
I’m down to 3 bottles of beer. It’s just a bad habit. Maybe I’m bored. Maybe I’m missing some excitement, an adventure. I’ll get rid of it. I just want to be free of my wife and everything.
I’m encouraging myself to invest in business. I’m already 34 and I’ve got nothing to show for it.
A few days ago I got up at dawn, with the sun, and I went out jogging… I was feeling great all day, light… happy. I started reading this book “A Monk Who sold his Ferrari”. There is really useful advice in that book. I have to buy the book because I want to read it a couple of times. This one belongs to a friend of my wife’s. I borrowed it 7-8 months ago, but I wasn’t drawn to it. I’ve just read it now. The thing that blew me away is that I shouldn’t worry. What will be will be. If you’re focused on something, the universe works with you. I have to discipline myself, bit by bit. I grew tired of television. I don’t watch it anymore. I wanted to throw it over the ledge.
I have this problem, I feel insecure. I have a problem concentrating. I’m insecure talking to a person. I feel I might have nothing to talk about. I’m easily bored. It’s all because of TV. A man gets uninterested quickly. I think I’ll stick to reading.
I’m not sure how others see me. Sometimes I talk too quickly, so they don’t understand me, and I don’t even know what I wanted to say. I have this bug; I block myself by thinking I won’t have anything to say. Sometimes I wish that nobody calls me. I get annoyed is somebody calls or comes over. I act and I look repellant.
- Psoriasis getting better
- Asthma mildly worsened
- Mental status far better
- Less alcohol
- Desire to change
Prescription: Sac-lac until next control examination
Second follow up: 13.2.14.
- Asthma worsened, he keeps his inhaler close
- Psoriasis worsened, skin breaks
- Nose constantly full, irritated
- Insomnia, worries about money
- Semen count better, they entered the artificial insemination program (they fulfill the requirements)
- Desire for a child growing, he’s looking forward to it
- He says:”I have to do a few more tests and take a few more medications so that it can improve even more. I can do it.”
- He intends to quit the 2-4 bottles of beer
- He says: “I feel good around people. I like them coming over. I feel surer of myself when I talk to someone. Sometimes I have nothing to talk about, but now I find more topics interesting”.
- “Cramps” in his hands have disappeared.
- Asthma worsened, so is the eczema
- Mentally better, but some things are worse.
Prescription: Higher dose, 1M.
Third follow up:
- I went to France on business. I stayed for two weeks instead of three days.
- Had a cold, I was stiff all over, but it all passed. Psoriasis is really bad. It’s coming down from elbows to my hands and from knees to my feet. I don’t suffocate anymore, puss is ripe, and I’m coughing it out.
- Cramps in my hands are gone. I lost 4kg.
- I like company. It’s even easier to communicate.
- During my stay in France I drank 4 bottles of bear a day because I was a bit bored.
- I avoid watching TV.
- I’m not that nervous anymore.
- I love my wife more. My passion for her is back.
- Doctor prescribed medication to increase my sperm count. I got it and started taking it.
- What do you think I can use on this psoriasis?
- I’m cheerful. Hopeful. Everything’s turning out for the best!
WHAT DO YOU MEAN BY HEALTH?
By the definition of The World Health Organization, health is not just the lack of disease. It’s total physical, psychological and social well being.
In the table bellow we can follow the patient’s progress, both physical and mental. He became a person who enjoys company, accepted and content, although physical symptoms haven’t totally disappeared. Now he sees new opportunities, he is hopeful, he fights and enjoys life.
|Case taking||Follow ups|
|Asthma||Moderate||Little worse||Worse||No symptoms|
|Hope||–||More hope||More hope||Full of hope|
|Desire for change||–||Present||Action||Action|
|Desire for child||Don’t exist||Appears||Wants, rejoices||Action|
|Interpersonal relationships||Very bad||Better||Feels good in company||Good|
|Ability for love||–||–||–||Passion|
We can consider this case by miasma.
- In the beginning, the patient was in a Syphilitic miasma, characterized by total auto destruction.
- As the case progressed, he moved towards Sycosis. At this point, we can see how he hid his shortcomings by withdrawing from people and refusing to communicate because he felt insecure around people.
- In the end we see optimism, action, willingness to fight for his posterity, to fight for his business, good communication with his surroundings, love and passion for his wife. At the same time, his skin gets worse. This belongs to Psora.
- From inward outwards
If symptoms move from inner organs towards skin, it means that the medicine prescribed is good and healing moves in the right direction.
In this case asthma is withdrawing, psoriasis is worse.
- From important organs to less important
If symptoms withdraw from mental level towards physical, healing is moving along. In this case we can see mental aspects are better and at the same time illness moves towards the physical level, and along with growing hope and optimism we get the temporary deterioration of asthma and eczema.
- From up towards down
Psoriasis moves from elbows and knees towards periphery (hands and ankles)
- From newer symptoms towards older
The symptom to go is the most recent. Symptoms that last the longest take the most time to withdraw. The order of withdrawal is reversed.
In this case the first one to go is depression, indifference, hopelessness and from then on backwards… At this point symptoms of asthma are gone, psoriasis will probably be the last one to go away.
Although Nat-mur turned out to be the cure in this case, we are still left confused because he didn’t seem like a Nat-mur case. Searching for deeper understanding of this medicine we studied its components, the elements Natrium and Chlorine (muriaticum). We are familiar with Natrium’s feelings, deep, lasting sorrow and disappointment originating from childhood, caused by cold parents who never gave any love nor warmth to their child. Let us now consider the chlorine part (in Sholten’s system it belongs to the Silica series, stage 17.
|Silica seria||Stage 17|
Both elements, Natrium and Chlorine belong to the Silica series regarding connections or relationships within family and for those with other people. Chlorine we find in stage 17 and it has the desire to leave others. In this case we clearly see the break-up in patient’s relationship with his parents and the desire to “be free from his wife”.
He has problems communicating. He talks too fast, doesn’t know what to say, he’s lacking topics, he’s incoherent. He says:”I’m insecure about talking to a person. I don’t know if I’ll have anything to talk about.”
“I don’t know how others see me”. This statement shows his concern for the impression he leaves on other people, not sure of his representation.
He doesn’t want to be around other people and his relationships are limited to the bad relations he has with his wife and neighbors.
Demands – to call for or require, as just, proper, or necessary:
When he was child: I wanted him to give me… he didn’t give me.
Today: If the government wants to increase birthrate, it should pay for artificial insemination.
Aggression – it is rarely recognized in Nat-mur patients, originates from element Chlorine.
His wife said: “He’s insulting and yells a lot. He can’t control his temper; he breaks things around the house”
We can clearly see the letting go. No hope, no struggle. Is all over for him, it’s all gone bust, none of his needs are met. All he’s left with is to make do with the rest of his life. He’s given up. “He’s so nervous, there’s no getting through to him. No one even wants to be there for him” – he does his best to provoke his wife to leave him.
Condemned– He says about his brother:”I wanted him to teach me something”. How he doesn’t want to watch stupid TV, he wants to read, to “go back”.
Fleeing – He’s running away from his wife, family, friends and his life.“To be free from wife”.
Technically this case isn’t closed, because the patient stopped coming for consultations. He said he is too busy. But the fact remains that he never wanted anything. His wife made him come and he never intended to cooperate. If you look at the case from this perspective, it is a highly successful case.
The deepest in the man
We are one soul from the beginning to the end of life’s journey. That soul has its own inner reality. When inner reality is not in accordance with life, one becomes sick and tries to justify this failure. He can accuse his wife, husband, parents, neighbors, friends, government, political or economic system for his failure. He can develop many symptoms during the time. But the truth is that one is always sick from only one disease, no matter how many symptoms he developed and how long he is sick.
J.C.Scholten – “Homeopathy and Elements”
J.C.Scholten – “Homeopathy and Minerals“
George Vithoulkas – “A New Model for Health and disease”
George Vithoulkas – “Essence of Materia Medica”
Dr.M.L.Tyler – “Homoeopathic Drug Pictures”
Philip Baliey – “Homeopathic psychology“
Samuel Hahnemann – “Organon“
Roger Morrison, M.D. – “Desktop Guide to Keynotes and Confirmatory Symptoms“
James Tyler Kent – “Lectures of hoemopathic materia medica”
Dr. Frederik Schroyens –“Synthesis, Repertorium Homeopathicum Syntheticum”, edition 9.1
© Copyright Maja Letić