Mr, X, a leather Engineer, Age 55, was serving in a Leather Factory in Hazaribag Dhaka. He was referred to me by Dr. Sarwar Jan for Dysphagia. For the last 3 years, the patient had been suffering from excessive salivation. As a result, he has to keep a pot beside him for spitting. The next year he developed a problem swallowing food or drink, which became a difficult task for him. A spasm or choking occurred during swallowing solids or liquids. He had to drink in between taking solid food.
The patient stated he had no mental shock, fear or other problems. About family life he said that he was leading a normal life, and did not have any physical with his wife for the last 12 years. They stay in the same house, live in separate rooms, do not meet each other and necessary communication, expenditures etc, are passed through the children. She cooks his food , washes his cloths etc, but no direct conversation. He requested that I not ask more of his background. He says that he does not suffer from such an abnormal relationship.
The following Rubrics were considered:
- choking during eating. RM, Throat, CHOKING, Gen, eating While- acon, anac, hydrog, kali bi, Kali carb, kalin, Lach, Meph, Merccor, ni ac, zinc, val.
- Choking during drinking,RM,Throat, CHOCKING, Gen, Drinking while- acon, cimex, HYOS, iod, kali n, manc, meph,NATM, phos, rhust.
- Chocking while swallowing food. RM, Throat, CHOCKING, gen, Swallowing on- acon,ambr, ars, Barc, bell, bry, china, cic, cupr, gent c, Graph, Hyos, Kali c, Laur, LYC, magp , manc, meph, Merc, mur ac, Natm, ons, par, Plb, PULS, rhust, stry, tarent, verat, zinc.
- Different types of medicines were used for about 4 months, giving temporary relief of the quantity of salivation only. The main problem of swallowing remainedthe same.
- Every time the man was asked whether he had any mental shock,his reply was always negative. I wanted to know the background incident between the husband and wife which contributed to such a strange relationship but he refused to talk about this. On asking whether this type of relationship mentally affects him or not, he said that it was normal for him. It does not affect him. Therefore, I did not proceed further on this angle.
- I believed him initially, but, when the apparently well selected remedies were not working on him, then I decided that I must not depend fully on the patient’s impression about his relationship. On further questioning, he again humbly requested not to reveal past incidents and he denied that the physical separation with wife for the last 12 years affected him.
- Without believing him, I came to the conclusion that his present condition was the result of a shock he received from a bad incident andstrange relationship with his wife. As they stay in the same house but separately; therefore, he suffers unconsciously, silently, from deprivation of sex and love. The shock gets renewed every moment he is in the house.
- Based on the above,the following rubrics were selected:
RM, Mind, GRIEF, feelings, silent, unhappy, love with IGN(single)
RM, Mind, GRIEF, ailments from, convulsion causes- ars, caust, hyos, ign, op.
RM, Mind, DISCORDS, ailments from between friends- ars, GRAPH, hep, Ign, lach, merc, NAT M, ni ac, nv, sulph.
RM, MIND, Disappointment , ailments , from- acon, alum,apis, ars, AUR, Bry, caust, Cham, cocc, colch, Coloc, Gels, grat, hyos, IGN, Lach, LYC, Merc, NAT M, Nuxv,Op, PH AC, plat, PULS, STAPH, verat.
- Arsenic alb
- Natrum Mur
Related symptoms of Ignatia
Apart from “aliments from grief, emotional shock.” we see the following symptoms under Ignatia:(Radar Key note):
Hysterical tendency and symptoms
Numbness. Cramps. Spasms. Tics. Chorea.
Sudden momentary paralysis.
Mouth( SR Pathak)
– Spasmodic closing of the jaws; bites inside cheek or tongue when talking or chewing.
– Sudden attacks of salivation.
– Feeling as of a lump, when not swallowing or that cannot be swallowed;amel. eating solids.
– Tendency to choke – Globus hystericus.
– Cramps in gullet.
– Choking; spasms of glottis.
– Constriction of the chest, feels as if too small.
Apart from covering the mental symptoms fully, Ignetia also covers the dysphasia Condition of the patient well.
1st Prescription: Ignatia M/2- Once a day for 8 days. One teaspoonful Then, gapfor 8 Days.
Result:About 50% better in all respects. Drooling much less.
2nd prescription. Placebo for 8 days. One teaspoon from 2nd glass of water. Then gap for 8 Days.
Result: Improvement halted at the end.
3rd Prescription- Ignatia M/3. for 8 days. Then, gap for 8 Days.
Result: Swallowing problem almost gone.
4th Prescription– Ignatia. M/4. For 8 Days. Then, gap for 8 days.
Result : No more swallowing problem, no salivation or spitting.